Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Ken Johnston - Blog 3

       Before answering the question of why the family diner should hire me, I need to identify each rhetorical element. The exigency, or the problem, is that you have no job or reliable source of income that you can use to pay off your student loans. The audience in this situation, is the family or person who owns the restaurant.        As a family friend and small businesses owner she will have some concerns. She does not want to over-staff her restaurant. Hiring you might put her over budget and cut into her profits. Although, because I am a family friend, she may feel like she has to hire me. I can argue that I am familiar with the work environment. Since I have worked there for four years, I am already familiar with the different challenges that I may face while on the job. Finally, I am skilled in the tasks I must perform on a daily basis.
       Since a family friend is hiring me, I must be aware of the situation. I cannot argue to the point too strong or I may cause tension in the relationship between our families.  I am also not in a position to negotiate my wages. Since I did not take the initiative to get my application in I may be looked as unaccountable or lazy. I must stick to the strong points of my argument and emphasize my work experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment