Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Brian Doyle Blog 3

   Although I have not personally been in this situation, I do have a friend who went through this process and it was very difficult. He ended up not being able to have the job even though the manager knew how good of a worker he was, butt the man followed his rules and did not want to make any exceptions.
   If this happened to me I would first start by arguing that I had put in a lot of hard work over the past few summers to earn my spot on the team. I could mention that it seemed as though it was a permanent summer job so I did not know I needed to reapply once again. I would also mention that I already know a lot about the restaurant so they would not have to pay a new person to learn everything from scratch. It is necessary that I work there again because now that I am in college I need to make money to help pay off the debts I will encounter over the years. I could suggest even working part time just during the busy hours because I still would like to work for them. My audience is the family friend who owns the restaurant, because I need to do everything I can to get a part back in the restaurant.
   She will be concerned about the fact that if she hires me as another employee, they may not make enough money to pay everyone and keep the restaurant running well. Also she may be concerned at how her friendship with me will be affected whether or not she hires me again for the summer. The major constraint in my argument is that it was my fault I forgot to send the application. Just because I have worked there before, and am family friends with her, does not mean I should receive special benefits in the work place.

No comments:

Post a Comment