My heart was racing. I was trying to wipe the sweat from
the palms of my hands. I raised my arms to salute the judges. As I stepped onto
the runway, I took a deep breath. I kept reminding myself of the corrections that
Coach Daniel told me repeatedly during practice. I took that first step and I
was off. I ran faster and faster down the vault runway. I flipped and twisted
in the air as I blocked off the vault table. I knew it was a good vault until I
heard a loud snap! In that instant, I knew it was broken.
I bit my tongue trying to fight back the tears but my
coach could see the pain in my eyes. My initial thought was that I needed to
finish this meet. It was the last state championships of my high school
gymnastics career. My teammates rushed to my side as Coach Daniel carried me
off the mat. He told me that I couldn't finish the meet but I told him that was absolutely not an option. As he taped my ankle up, many thoughts flooded my mind. How on in the world am I really going to finish this meet?
No comments:
Post a Comment