Sunday, September 1, 2013

Jake Apostoles Blog 1

Writing in everyday life for me comes through a variety of venues, either in digital or physical formats. The vast majority of my writing used to come through text messaging, as it is very fast and easy. I wasn't the kind of person who shortened words or anything like that, so I would still consider it writing. The other large source was email, which has grown to the primary source now that I am at college, as it seems I get at least 15 school related emails a day minimum, most of which I have to respond to. The fact that these are emails dramatically changes the way I talk in this form of writing, as it is now required by the Corps of Cadet that certain formalities are followed. Therefore, most of my emails have a very professional tone, which is in contrast to my unprofessional texts. The use of physical writing has declined in my usage over the last few years, as I had a pen-pal when I was younger, but those letters stopped a long while ago. Nowadays, formal letters only are used when that is the only option, so I rarely send them. Lastly, there is the writing used in school, whether it be for an assignment or for general notes taken during class time. Notes in class I use everyday, but are often abbreviated to save tie and space. I don't worry about formalities or really even spelling in this case as nobody will read them but me. On the other hand, with writing papers I am particularly careful to check my spelling as I know when I am typing very quickly I often can miss keys and make mistakes. Writing essays only happens when required for me, so it is not all too often that I write big essays.

Since writing doesn't always mean communication, I often don't judge how I feel I got my point across unless there is a reason to check. I really don't worry about it most of the time. I just guess that I got my point across and if i didn't, the recipient will ask me to go more into depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment