My days as a competitive swimmer
began several hours after I lost the information sheet about the wrestling team
in my messy, freshman locker. I had just finished my fall season of cross
country and I knew I wanted to do a sport in the winter but I had no idea what.
Throughout middle school I never stuck with a winter sport so I was open to all
possibilities. I was pretty sure I was going to wrestle but when I came home
that day I couldn’t find the paperwork and the tryouts began the following day.
I decided to talk to the swim coach because it was a non-cut sport, and I
always enjoyed swimming over the summer. When I first stepped into Mr. King’s
room I was a little nervous and still unsure whether or not I wanted to swim,
but after talking with him I figured I would try it out. What I thought was
going to be just a sport to keep me in shape, became a way of life and a
highlight of all four of my years in high school. There are a few things I will
look back to later in life that will remind me of my career as a high school
swimmer, and throwing my coach in the pool at my final meet will always be at
the top of the list.
No comments:
Post a Comment