I came around the last turn and saw the clock 200 meters in front of me. I had been in this place before, but this moment was different. This time, as I was running towards the finish line of my final cross country race, there was no one in front of me. The time on the clock was the shortest I had ever seen it. Even though I could barely breathe, had sweat dripping down my face, and my legs felt like noodles, I was not going to give up because I wanted to win the race. At that moment, it was no longer the responsibility of my coach to train me, nor the job of my teammates and family to encourage me to do better. I was the only one who could make my dream become a reality. The dream that one day I would beat my three mile time of twenty-one minutes and win a race.
My running career started when I was a freshmen in high school. Indoor track was definitely not on my list of things to do, however hanging out with my friends was. Being new to the school, I did not have many friends yet, but I did have a few close ones. Two of them, Sarah and Wren, thought it would be a great idea for us to all do track together. I decided to do it, not wanting to miss out on any social time.
No comments:
Post a Comment