Sunday, November 10, 2013

Carol Royston blog 5

            Hikari Shimoda is a famous Japanese artist who published a collection of paintings called After the Quake in 2002. The purpose of the series After the Quake was for viewers of the paintings to understand the way Japan’s people were affected by the of the 1995 Kobe earthquake. “Secret” is one of the paintings in this series. It’s a picture of an innocent baby that has mushrooms coming out of its skull and looks injured and scared. 
            The baby of this picture seems like it was very badly harmed in the earthquake. I think the baby had a brain injury because she has mushrooms on the top of her head, almost where her brain would be located. I think the mushrooms symbolize the fact that she is brain dead. Mushrooms decompose dead material, so I Hikari was using mushrooms to symbolize that her brain is not working anymore and the baby is brain dead.

            I find the eyes of this baby very creepy. Her eyes aren’t all the way open and seem tired. This also supports the idea that the baby is scared and defeated. Around her eyes has brown bags that form when someone is tired or sick. I think this baby has been through the ringer after the quake and almost doesn’t have and hope left.

No comments:

Post a Comment